We are delighted to announce a conference on truthmaker semantics and its applications in philosophy and linguistics that we will organize together with Kit Fine. The conference will take place July 29-31, 2019 at the University of Hamburg. Keynote speakers are Steve Yablo, Friederike Moltmann, Mark Jago, Daniel Rothschild and Louis deRosset. More information, including the conference programme as well as abstracts for the keynotes, can be found here.
In the week before the conference, there will also be a Summer School on the topic of Truthmaker Semantics taught by Kit Fine, Mark Jago, Friederike Moltmann, Johannes Korbmacher, and Stephan Krämer. The Summer School is organized by the Phlox Research Group. More information is available at https://hamburgersommerkurs.wordpress.com.
We are pleased to announce that video recordings are now available of some of the talks from our recent first RelEvent — a workshop on Varieties of Relevance. Click here to see talks by Gerhard Schurz on Relevance in the Theory of Confirmation and by Hannes Leitgeb on Relevance: Semantics, Logic, and the Logic of Belief. Thanks to the Lecture2Go team at the University of Hamburg for providing these!
Some more talks by group members are upcoming:
- Stephan will be speaking about Difference-Making in Truthmaker Semantics at ConceptLab in Oslo (13 Nov 2018)
- Martin will be speaking on Essence and Actuality at a Workshop on Necessity and Essence in Tübingen (23 Nov 2018)
- Stephan will be speaking about Higher-Degree Exact Entailments at a Workshop on Hyperintensionality in Utrecht (23-24 Nov 2018)
Stephan and Martin will be giving talks at an upcoming Hamburg-Japan workshop (24-25 August), co-organized by Richard Woodward’s Emmy Noether group Ontology after Quine and Richard Dietz (Tokyo/Hamburg). Stephan’s talk will be on Relevance and Minimality in Belief Revision, Martin’s on the question What Time Is It in Other Possible Worlds?
We are delighted to announce that Martin Glazier will be joining our team as a postdoctoral researcher, with a planned start date of 1 September. Martin’s current and recent research is focused, among other things, on explanatory relevance in noncausal explanation. We are very happy to have him on board!
We are pleased to announce our first project workshop, on the topic of Varieties of Relevance, to take place on 12 October 2018. Speakers: Insa Lawler, Hannes Leitgeb, and Hans Rott, and Gerhard Schurz. For more information, click here.
We’re happy to report that
- Stefan Roski’s talk Can the Counterfactual Theory of Explanation Account for Metaphysical Explanations? has been accepted for presentation at the GAP.10 conference, to take place in Cologne, 17-20 September 2018.
- Stephan Krämer’s talk A Note on the Whole Truth has also been accepted at the same conference.
- A slightly different version of that talk has also been accepted for this year’s Joint Session, taking place in Oxford, 6-8 July 2018.
We have a position open for a postdoctoral researcher. More information can be found here.
(Edit: The application deadline for this post has now expired.)